Saturday, September 8, 2012

Happy Wheat Grinder!

So for my birthday this year, Jeremiah got me an electric wheat grinder.  Not just any mill but the best one out there!  I was so excited!  However, I had to wait almost a week for it to arrive.  My parents got me a round stone, yes I had to wait for that order to come in too.  ;)  Fortunately, they both came in on the same day!  


First thing I did was to mill some wheat.  For those of you who have been at my mom's house while she mills wheat you know just what it sounded like.  Yes, that's right, just like a jet engine.


 I was a little worried about how the kids would react to the noise, but they actually did fairly well.  They were in the other room playing when it began.  Of course they came running to see what it was, but they just covered their ears and enjoyed watching it make the flour.

I then used the wheat flour to make cookies.  The dough had a bit of a grainy texture, but once they were cooked that went away.  I baked them on my new round stone.  It was awesome, because they came out crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle.  Perfect if you ask me.


I made sure to have them ready for when Jeremiah came home.  He was pretty excited to see how they would turn out.


Jeremiah gives them a two thumbs up!  The kiddos loved them too, so a great way to get more whole grains into their diet. ;)

Great cookies from a great birthday.  Thank you Jeremiah, Mom, and Dad!


2 comments:

  1. Hey! I just found your blog :) I'm wondering if you would share your cookie recipe that worked so well with whole wheat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michelle! Honestly, I just used a basic Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookie recipe, and used wheat flour as opposed to bleached white flour. A simple switch, but I really liked the texture that it turned out.

      Delete