Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Boo To You!!!

I love this time of year.  It can be so fun.  I always think of so many things to do with my kids, but we just can't fit it all in.  Some things we do every year, and some things we change up, so that over the years we can get in all that "fun stuff".  I really can't believe how fast this month really has gone by!  With two birthdays taking up half the month, I felt like Halloween just snuck up on me.  

One thing we got to do this year was to make our own decorations.  I pulled out the Cricut and all my paper.    


Jacob ran the Cricut.  He was so excited to be able to do that.  After he cut out all of the pieces that I needed he went to town doing his own thing.  It was a blast.

Here are the decorations we came up with.  I didn't get to take a picture of Will's.  He was so cute just doing his own thing.



A friend of mine gave me an idea using milk cartons to make "ghost pumpkins".  Jacob, Emma, and I all made one.

Spongebob 


Princess

For one of our family home evenings, we combined our activity and our treat.  While the kids were at school I made sugar cookies and icing.  So everyone got to decorate and eat cookies.  They had a great time.  


Wescott has become very independent.  I wanted absolutely NO help with the icing bag. Anytime we tried to help position it he would get upset and say "Doit! Doit!"  He was proud of each and every cookie he worked on.


I made black icing for pumpkin and ghost eyes and noses.  It sure made a mess with Will, the bag exploded on his plate.  I still have pinks stains on my table from the explosion!



Jacob worked very hard to make his cookies look like mine.  I was impressed with his patience and determination.


He is my little perfectionist.  It has to be just right.


Wes hard at work.




Emma did a good job too.  Her's weren't as intricate as Jacobs, but she did a great job with the icing and toothpick tool. :)

Of course we also carved our pumpkins.  I set it all up and got the knives out for Jeremiah and I to cut with. But while the kids were scooping out the "guts", he went to the garage.  What did he come back with?  A hole-saw   Oh, the kids thought that was great.  It made perfect circles for eyes, noses, and mouths.











Jacob stuck his hand in there just as I took the picture.  It actually looks like a tongue is sticking out!


Jeremiah using the hole-saw.

As soon as the carving was done, Will was asking to "put fire on his pumpkin".  So we took them out and lit them up!



Last but not least.  Trick or Treating.  William has been talking about getting candy when it is "Loneen Dark" for two weeks.  He has been so excited that it really rubbed off on Wescott too.  They both run around yelling "Loneen!  Loneen!"  As far as costumes go, it was pretty easy for me.  Fortunately with multiple children you can think of something and then just pass it down the line. :)  Jacob reused his knight costume, Emma was a pirate, William dressed as a ghost, and Wescott wore the dragon costume.












Will was very insistant that he was not a bad or mean ghost.  He said he was a nice ghost that helped people.  His exact words were "saved people".  Jacob said, "Hey! that is like the Holy Ghost!"  I said "uh yeah, I think Will can be Casper, the friendly ghost."  Will was totally on board with that.  He is such a good boy, he doesn't like to do anything that would make him seem otherwise.

I went to put on my costume makeup in the bathroom, and when Wes came to find me he was a bit taken aback.  It wasn't until I began to talk to him that he finally decided I was ok.  I guess it would be kind of scary to see your mother look like this for the first time.  The other kids have seen me dress up for Halloween before so it didn't even phase them.


I always like to fix a fun special dinner for Halloween.   This is a Mummy Calzone.  Something quick and easy to go with all that candy.


We sure have had a good time this month.  With so much going on I have been very busy.  Now it is time to catch up around the house and get ready for the next big event.  Thanksgiving and Jacob's Birthday!  Whoo hoo.






2 comments:

  1. Wow it all looks like so much fun! I'm impressed with your mummy calzone. It may b something you'll have to teach me. Not that all my kids will eat it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lot of fun! One of these years we should do Halloween together!

    ReplyDelete