Sunday, January 13, 2013

Giving Thanks

As a family, I wanted us to focus more on being thankful for what we have and to really recognize that everything we have is a gift and blessing from our Father in Heaven.  So for one family home evening in November we had a lesson on gratitude.  After the lesson we made a Turkey of Thanks.  Remembering things that we had talked about being thankful for each child, and even mommy and daddy decorated a turkey feather with something that we were most thankful for.  Neither Jacob nor Emma could decide on just one thing, so they put several things they were thankful for.  This is the end product for that project.




For our Thanksgiving dinner we went fairly simple this year in anticipation of the big feast between feasts.  We love to pan fry our potatoes year round so this year Jeremiah chose to apply that technique to yams. Instead of seasoning with garlic and salt we went with brown sugar and cinnamon.  Oh so good!  Originally, we tried it with marshmallow cream, but then switched to whipped cream because it cut down the sweetness.

These are the cinnamon glazed yams.

I also decided to try baking sausage stuffing in a pumpkin.  I figured there is a high moisture level in a pumpkin and that it would not only make for a moist stuffing, but also have a creative serving vessel.  It looked great, but the moistness I was looking for didn't really happen.  I am thinking that if i were to saute the onions and celery beforehand it would probably help.  



We went with smoking a chicken instead of turkey this go round.  Homemade rolls, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberries, stuffing, and of course the yams.


And finally, this was my plate.  I was able to fit everything on with minimal food space touching issues.  Those of you who know me, know how important this is to my well being. ;) 


It was a wonderful layed back day together with the family.  I am so grateful for the wonderful family that I have been blessed with.  I am amazed everyday at my children and the things they are learning.  I am grateful for Jeremiah, I love him so much and thank my Father in Heaven daily for bringing him into my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment